Designer Marc Jacobs was on hand at New York City’s 92Y to chat with fashion frontronner Fern Mallis about everything from his history with drugs to the future of his burgeoning brand. Audience members listened intently as Fern grilled him about tough topics and cheered him on before the reception presented by MARTINI. Here are some key sound bites from the interview:
- Marc Jacobs on childhood: “I didn’t have the most delightful childhood.” Fern Mallis: “Well, you’re having one now.”
- Marc Jacobs on Studio 54 and taking his books there so he could go straight from the establishment to high school in the morning: “It taught me to behave extravagantly: I learned about substances and anonymous sex,” he said with a laugh.
- On his favorite tattoo? A Scott Campbell created rendering of a Jean-Michel Frank sofa. Why? “Just that, it’s a couch.”
- On his next possible tattoo? ManBearPig from South Park.
- On being tabloid fodder: “I love attention.”
- Robert Duffy is the longest relationship Marc has ever had: “We’ve never been lovers, we’ve never even kissed on the lips — well, not on purpose.”
- On Tom Ford, now and when he worked with him at Perry Ellis: “Tom is Tom, he’s always been Tom.”
- On the grunge collection he created at Perry Ellis: “It was the most liberating collection I’ve ever done. It was about being “perfectly imperfect” with this “f*ck off thing.”
- On building personal wealth since signing on at Louis Vuitton: “I don’t think I’m very rich, I think I’m comfortable. I have a nice art collection.”
- On getting the top job at Louis Vuitton when other designers like Peter Copping were also working there: “I won, I’m not being a bitch, but I’ve been there for fifteen years — though I don’t know if I’ll be there for fifteen more.”
- On his collaborations with artists at Vuitton: “Contemporary art influences everything.”
- Marc’s favorite artist is Ed Ruscha. When he first began collecting, he “was intimidated, but when I was intimidated I missed out. Don’t judge art, see and experience it.”
- On going to rehab and his current relationship with substances: “I’m not perfect, I’m perfect as I am. I’m mostly sober. I like wine sometimes, some whiskey, a joint, other stuff.”
- On his difficult, health-conscious diet: “I started to like how I looked, that was really fun.”
- Fern Mallis asked, “Do you consider yourself a heartthrob.” Marc Jacobs: “No, Tom Ford’s a heartthrob.”
- On receiving multiple awards: “I don’t believe in awards, I think they’re an opportunity to thank people publicly though — the journey is the important thing.”
- On being up for the top job at Dior: “It was a long discussion. I never dreamed of being a couturier. I was honored and flattered. Dr. Robinson (Marc’s therapist) asked, ‘How will this improve your life.?’ And it wouldn’t. Mr. Arnault and I both decided against it.”
- On the present: “I’m trying to stay in the moment as much as possible.”
- On when he know he had made it: “I don’t think I’ve made it yet.”
Julianne Moore was spotted at the New York City premiere of “Game Change.” The actress looked stunning supporting her latest film wearing a black and white gown to the event held at the Ziegfeld Theatre.
Natlie Portman and Benjamin Millepied were spotted at Il Covo restaurant this week enjoying a nice evening out. The Hollywood star and her man were joined by their 8-month-old son, Benjamin as they went to the Beverly Hills hot spot.
Gwyneth Paltrow was spotted at the Louis Vuitton/Marc Jacobs exhibition in Paris! Looking happy as always, she arrived at Les Arts Decoratifs as part of the Paris Fashion Week Autumn/Winter 2012 festivities.
It’s a family affair! Kate Hudson was spotted by her mom Goldie Hawn’s side helping out during the launch of her namesake foundation. Joined by fiance Matthew Bellamy, the actress looked amazing as she supported her mom, Goldie Hawn, at the at Annabels held kickoff of The Hawn Foundation.
She’s such a great wife! Khloe Kardashian was spotted supporting hubby Lamar Odom as his Dallas Mavericks took on the New York Knicks! She seemed to be enjoying the sporting event and was extremely happy after Lamars team won!
Katy Perry was spotted at the Miu Miu Ready-To-Wear Fall/Winter 2012 runway show in Paris this week! The songstress rocked a blue pony tail as she arrived at Conseil Economique as part of the Paris Fashion Week!
Kim Kardashian even looks good pumping gas! Kim K was spotted filling up the tank of her new Ferrari at Sherman Oaks looking gorgeous as always rockin’ some platform pumps!
FOR MORE STAR SIGHTINGS THIS WEEK, KEEP READING…
The Academy Awards red carpet is always a great place to check out celebrity fashion. Some celebs do it right and others do it all wrong but MJ is focusing on those that dazzled!
Our top picks of the night include George Clooney and his stunning girlfriend/statue Stacy Keibler, Oscar winner Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis, Rooney Mara, Milla Jovovich, Michelle Williams and Cameron Diaz.
Stacy Keibler dazzled in a gold floor-length Marchesa gown and looked less like boyfriend George Clooney‘s arm candy and more like his Oscar statuette. “Best Supporting Actress” winner Octavia Spencer opted for an ethereal white gown by Tadashi Shoji & Neil Lane jewels while her “The Help” co-star and pal Viola Davis picked out something brighter — an emerald green Vera Wang gown — looking bright, happy and extremely fit. “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” star Rooney Mara surprised fashion fans with her choice in a white mermaid gown, but inevitably topped almost every “Best Dressed” list in her white lace Givenchy gown. Also in white was a stunning Milla Jovovich who slipped herself into a white sparkly couture gown by Elie Saab and Cameron Diaz in Gucci. “My Week With Marilyn Star” Michelle Williams has been making great choices all throughout awards season — and Sunday’s red carpet was no exception — as she dazzled in a red Louis Vuitton number.
…and that concludes awards season 2012!
- Accidental Sexiness
- Bauer Griffin Online
- Betty Confidential
- Blog Hamptons
- Bryan Boy
- Celebrity Blackberry Sightings
- DJ Cassidy's Blog
- Evident Future by Leo Velasquez
- Grasie Mercedes
- High Snobiety
- Hollywood Giants
- Hollywood Life
- I’m Not Obsessed
- Just Jared
- L.A. Rag Mag
- Look To The Stars
- Love B. Scott
- Marc Malkin (E! Online)
- MTV Buzzworthy
- MTV Hollywood Crush
- Necole Bitchie
- Neon Limelight
- OK! Magazine
- Pacific Coast News
- Pink Is The New Blog
- Pop Music Universe
- Pop Sugar
- Style Rookie
- The A.R. Experience
- The Daily Beast
- The Daily Transom
- The Fashion Bomb
- The Freaks Of Nature
- The Luxury Spot
- Us Magazine
- VH1's Best Week Ever
- Best Dressed At 2013 Billboard Awards — HOT SHOTS!
- Carrie Underwood: I Always Knew I Would Be Rich, Famous & Marry a Hot Guy!
- “Idol” Alum Jessica Sanchez Shops SoHo on Mother’s Day
- REAL TALK: Catching Up with “Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills” star Kyle Richards
- Blackberry Z10′s Big NYC Launch & Capital Cities Perform Downtown NYC – Love Them!
- Celebrities Sound Off On Kentucky Derby Firsts & Fashion
- Pop Talk: Justin & Selena, Taylor Swift, Gwyneth Paltrow, and More — VIDEO
- VIDEO: Bruno Mars Headlines Samsung Launch Event In New York City
- Isaac Mizrahi Hosts Annual Spring Party 2013
- Ben Affleck Will “Live Below the Line” on $1.50 a Day
- VIDEO: Watch Footage From “The Mrs. Carter Show” World Tour Starring Beyonce!
- INTERVIEW: Ciara Talks Boyfriend Future, “Body Party” Music Video, New Album & More!
- Hottie Highlight: Is David Castro the next Channing Tatum?
- “Define Me” Music Video Premiere by Ryan Amador — Watch It Now!