Designer Marc Jacobs was on hand at New York City’s 92Y to chat with fashion frontronner Fern Mallis about everything from his history with drugs to the future of his burgeoning brand. Audience members listened intently as Fern grilled him about tough topics and cheered him on before the reception presented by MARTINI. Here are some key sound bites from the interview:
- Marc Jacobs on childhood: “I didn’t have the most delightful childhood.” Fern Mallis: “Well, you’re having one now.”
- Marc Jacobs on Studio 54 and taking his books there so he could go straight from the establishment to high school in the morning: “It taught me to behave extravagantly: I learned about substances and anonymous sex,” he said with a laugh.
- On his favorite tattoo? A Scott Campbell created rendering of a Jean-Michel Frank sofa. Why? “Just that, it’s a couch.”
- On his next possible tattoo? ManBearPig from South Park.
- On being tabloid fodder: “I love attention.”
- Robert Duffy is the longest relationship Marc has ever had: “We’ve never been lovers, we’ve never even kissed on the lips — well, not on purpose.”
- On Tom Ford, now and when he worked with him at Perry Ellis: “Tom is Tom, he’s always been Tom.”
- On the grunge collection he created at Perry Ellis: “It was the most liberating collection I’ve ever done. It was about being “perfectly imperfect” with this “f*ck off thing.”
- On building personal wealth since signing on at Louis Vuitton: “I don’t think I’m very rich, I think I’m comfortable. I have a nice art collection.”
- On getting the top job at Louis Vuitton when other designers like Peter Copping were also working there: “I won, I’m not being a bitch, but I’ve been there for fifteen years — though I don’t know if I’ll be there for fifteen more.”
- On his collaborations with artists at Vuitton: “Contemporary art influences everything.”
- Marc’s favorite artist is Ed Ruscha. When he first began collecting, he “was intimidated, but when I was intimidated I missed out. Don’t judge art, see and experience it.”
- On going to rehab and his current relationship with substances: “I’m not perfect, I’m perfect as I am. I’m mostly sober. I like wine sometimes, some whiskey, a joint, other stuff.”
- On his difficult, health-conscious diet: “I started to like how I looked, that was really fun.”
- Fern Mallis asked, “Do you consider yourself a heartthrob.” Marc Jacobs: “No, Tom Ford’s a heartthrob.”
- On receiving multiple awards: “I don’t believe in awards, I think they’re an opportunity to thank people publicly though — the journey is the important thing.”
- On being up for the top job at Dior: “It was a long discussion. I never dreamed of being a couturier. I was honored and flattered. Dr. Robinson (Marc’s therapist) asked, ‘How will this improve your life.?’ And it wouldn’t. Mr. Arnault and I both decided against it.”
- On the present: “I’m trying to stay in the moment as much as possible.”
- On when he know he had made it: “I don’t think I’ve made it yet.”
In her first magazine shoot since March 2011, Lady Gaga is once again gracing the covers of the ever fabulous Vogue Magazine. Gaga was quoted in her tweet saying, “Who else sees me channeling @RuPaul on the COVER of VOGUE. If only I was as fierce as you b*tch. I did try to come for you with that weave!”
In the article, Gaga discusses the launch of her newest fragrance, “Fame,” and the recent reuse of her infamous meat dress. Discussing her latest tour, Gaga goes on to say, “We were talking about putting the show together, and I said, ‘OK, what if I was someone’s grandma and I was going to a concert tonight. How would I know that it was a Gaga show?’ And we all just sort of looked at each other and said,’The meat dress!’”
The Gaga-fied September issue of Vogue hits newsstands August 21. And while you’re waiting, check out this exclusive behind the scenes look at Gaga’s shoot!
Celebrities Shop For A Cause At Super Saturday 15 — Raising $3.6 Million For Ovarian Cancer Research Fund
Super Saturday is one of my favorite events of the year!
Why, you ask? Because celebrities and socials come together on a big field in the Hamptons to shop for a good cause. It is a fun-filled, family-oriented daylong fundraiser, complete with a one-of-a-kind designer garage sale, kids’ carnival and activities, a luxury raffle and gourmet treats.
Once dubbed “the Rolls Royce of garage sales,” the most anticipated element of Super Saturday is the fashion garage sale, which includes merchandise from over 200 prominent designers including: Donna Karan, Theory, alice + olivia, J Brand, Diane von Furstenberg, HelmutLang, Intermix, Scoop NYC, Splendid, Smythson and Ralph Lauren. For the fifth consecutive year, the “Designers A to Zoe” booth by Rachel Zoe will feature luxury designers such as Stella McCartney, Proenza Schouler, Peter Som, Chloe, J Mendel, Oscar de la Renta, Zac Posen, Marc Jacobs and Marchesa.
Kelly Ripa, Paula Patton, Donna Karan and Ariel Foxman hosted the afternoon with other notable guests including: Matthew Settle, Mark Feuerstein, Lara Spencer, Star Jones, Tiffani Thiessen, Sam Champion, Beth Ostrosky Stern, Josh Elliott, Judith Giuliani,Hilary Rhoda, Alina Cho, Nick Loeb, June Ambrose, George Kotsiopoulos, Jeannie Mai, Isaac Mizrahi, Jonathan Cheban, Kyle Richards, Ingrid Vandebosch, Veronica Webb, Hilary Rhoda, Diem Brown, Chaske Spencer and Jessica Hart among others.
Kyle Richards from Bravo’s “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” was thrilled to get her hands on a Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS for her daughter Portia. She mentioned that the family is headed on a summer vacation to Turkey and Israel in early August and she knew this was the perfect way to keep the family entertained.
Shoppers were treated to an outrageous food buffet and day long open bar, with refreshments from ZICO coconut water and snacks from Popchips.
Despite rainy weather, the 15th annual Super Saturday raised $3.6 million for Ovarian Cancer Research Fund. Amazefest USA! Check out more HOT SHOTS from Super Saturday 15…after the jump!
Big names including Fergie, Marc Jacobs, and Hillary Swank came out for amfAR`s 3rd Annual Inspiration Gala and a special performance by the Scissor Sisters.
Considered America’s highest honor for a career in film, the 40th recipient of the AFI Life Achievement Award was- Shirley MacLaine. The event was magical, filled with the brightest stars in Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, Meryl Streep and Katherine Heigl.
Sofia Vergara and boyfriend, Onion Crunch owner Nick Loeb, are rekindling their romance! The couple were seen snuggling up together in a corner booth at the preview of Bagatelle New York last night.
The official release date is quickly approaching but a special screening was held in NYC for “Rock of Ages” and MicahJesse.com was there for the madness! Julianne Hough looked stunning as did Russian model Irina Shayk who came out to support!
Is that Jessica Simpson?! Quickly trying to get back to her pre-baby body, Jess Simpson was spotted leaving a private gym in LA this week- her first sighting post-baby! Simpson tried avoiding the paps but she put on a big smile seeming happy now back on a routine!
Jada Pinkett Smith was spotted at the premiere of her new movie “Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted” in the Big Apple this week. The event was held at Ziegfeld Theatre and she seemed to be having a ball alongside co-stars, Jessica Chastain, Chris Rock and Ben Stiller! Will and Willow were also their to support JP!
FOR MORE STAR SIGHTINGS THIS WEEK…KEEP READING!
Julianne Moore was spotted at the New York City premiere of “Game Change.” The actress looked stunning supporting her latest film wearing a black and white gown to the event held at the Ziegfeld Theatre.
Natlie Portman and Benjamin Millepied were spotted at Il Covo restaurant this week enjoying a nice evening out. The Hollywood star and her man were joined by their 8-month-old son, Benjamin as they went to the Beverly Hills hot spot.
Gwyneth Paltrow was spotted at the Louis Vuitton/Marc Jacobs exhibition in Paris! Looking happy as always, she arrived at Les Arts Decoratifs as part of the Paris Fashion Week Autumn/Winter 2012 festivities.
It’s a family affair! Kate Hudson was spotted by her mom Goldie Hawn’s side helping out during the launch of her namesake foundation. Joined by fiance Matthew Bellamy, the actress looked amazing as she supported her mom, Goldie Hawn, at the at Annabels held kickoff of The Hawn Foundation.
She’s such a great wife! Khloe Kardashian was spotted supporting hubby Lamar Odom as his Dallas Mavericks took on the New York Knicks! She seemed to be enjoying the sporting event and was extremely happy after Lamars team won!
Katy Perry was spotted at the Miu Miu Ready-To-Wear Fall/Winter 2012 runway show in Paris this week! The songstress rocked a blue pony tail as she arrived at Conseil Economique as part of the Paris Fashion Week!
Kim Kardashian even looks good pumping gas! Kim K was spotted filling up the tank of her new Ferrari at Sherman Oaks looking gorgeous as always rockin’ some platform pumps!
FOR MORE STAR SIGHTINGS THIS WEEK, KEEP READING…
The Accessories Council hosted the 13th Annual ACE Awards on Monday (Nov 2) honoring individuals and companies who have furthered the awareness and use of accessories. Annually, the ACE Awards are presented to designers, brands, retailers, celebrities and media who have helped to enhance sales and promote accessories at the consumer level.
The night included a cocktail reception at Cipriani on 42nd Street followed by a dinner and award ceremony hosted by Robert Verdi.
Guests and presenters included Marc Jacobs and Lorenzo Martone, Calvin Klein, Betsey Johnson, Nina Garcia, Molly Sims, Erin Wasson, Alexander Wang, Glenda Bailey, Christian Siriano, Steven Kolb, Agyness Deyn, Hilary Rhoda, Daisy Lowe, Hamish Bowles, Eric Daman (Costume Designer for Gossip Girl), Nicola Formichetti, Accessories Council Chairman Frank Zambrelli and Accessories Council President Karen Giberson.
Honorees included Burberry-Brand of the Year; Tomas Maier for Bottega Veneta- Designer of the Year; Lady Gaga- Stylemaker Award; Diane Von Furstenberg- Accessory Visionary Award; Barbie-Fashion Icon; Fred Allard of Nine West-Influencer Award; Blake Mycoskie of Tom’s Shoes-Humanitarian Award; Zappos.com-Retailer of the Year; Gilt Groupe-Retail Innovation; Hal Rubenstein, Fashion Director of InStyle -Marylou Luther Award for Fashion Journalism; and V Magazine-Magazine of the Year.
What do you think of Gaga‘s Getup?
Sound OFF in the COMMENTS section!
…there were party crashers!!!
With a cooky performance by Lady Gaga and appearances by such starlets as Lindsay Lohan, Mischa Barton, Janet Jackson, Courtney Love, Toni Braxton, and Ciara, V Magazine, who helped throw the event on Marc’s behalf, should’ve known there would be crashers!
Organizers for the event told the bustling crowd at just about 11:00 pm that they were at capacity with already 700 people inside and that no one (and they meant no one!) was getting inside…no matter what!
- Accidental Sexiness
- Bauer Griffin Online
- Betty Confidential
- Blog Hamptons
- Bryan Boy
- Celebrity Blackberry Sightings
- DJ Cassidy's Blog
- Evident Future by Leo Velasquez
- Grasie Mercedes
- High Snobiety
- Hollywood Giants
- Hollywood Life
- I’m Not Obsessed
- Just Jared
- L.A. Rag Mag
- Look To The Stars
- Love B. Scott
- Marc Malkin (E! Online)
- MTV Buzzworthy
- MTV Hollywood Crush
- Necole Bitchie
- Neon Limelight
- OK! Magazine
- Pacific Coast News
- Pink Is The New Blog
- Pop Music Universe
- Pop Sugar
- Style Rookie
- The A.R. Experience
- The Daily Beast
- The Daily Transom
- The Fashion Bomb
- The Freaks Of Nature
- The Luxury Spot
- Us Magazine
- VH1's Best Week Ever
- Isaac Mizrahi Hosts Annual Spring Party 2013
- Ben Affleck Will “Live Below the Line” on $1.50 a Day
- VIDEO: Watch Footage From “The Mrs. Carter Show” World Tour Starring Beyonce!
- INTERVIEW: Ciara Talks Boyfriend Future, “Body Party” Music Video, New Album & More!
- Hottie Highlight: Is David Castro the next Channing Tatum?
- “Define Me” Music Video Premiere by Ryan Amador — Watch It Now!
- Help “Gossip Girl” Star Kelly Rutherford Get Her Kids Back!
- Beyonce, Blake Lively, Zoe Saldana & More “Chime For Change” — VIDEO
- In GIFs — Rebel Wilson Hosts 2013 MTV Movie Awards
- Hanson LIVE Interview on Music Choice U&A –Watch It Now!
- Kelly Rowland & Rita Ora Headline Elle Magazine’s Women in Music Concert — HOT SHOTS!
- “No Questions Off Limits”at Andy Cohen Atlantic City Book Signing
- Marla Joy Debuts Music Video For First Single “Tragedy” — Watch It Now!
- VIDEO: Micah Jesse Interview with singer Andy Grammer in NYC