After eight strong years, Barack Obama gave his final thoughts and calls to action as our classy 44th President of the United States, last night in his Farewell Speech.
I couldn't help but cry. Were you crying, too? Because, I didn't feel alone. I was certain that millions of Americans were sobbing right along with me. When Barack Obama first ran in '08, his campaign slogan was "Change we can believe in." Barack, let me remind you of just some of the change you made while in office:
You took us out of the worst recession since The Great Depression
- You decreased the unemployment rate from 10% to 4.7%
- You gave us marriage equality
- You made the impossible happen by not only becoming the first black U.S. President but the first non-Caucasian US President
- You brought Bin Laden to justice
- You passed Dodd Frank to help regulate and reform Wall Street
- You repealed "Don't ask. Don't tell." in the military (By reversing this law, LGBTQ members of the armed forces no longer have to hide who they are.)
- You improved America's international image
- Best of all? You did all of this with dignity and made the absolute most of your time.
THANK YOU OBAMA!
In case you missed his tear-jerking Farewell Speech, here's the full video, via CNN: